With GSMA Mobile World Congress 2020 postponed due to concerns over COVID-19, attention is being focused on the next high profile event on the telecommunications industry calendar – 5G World from InformaTech – co-located with the TechXLR8 event. NetNumber is a supporter of the 5G World program and was recently interviewed to highlight how we utilise the program to elevate brand awareness around the world.
Q: Can you tell us who NetNumber are, what your vision is, and how you fit into the 5G ecosystem?
NetNumber is a leader in multi-protocol software development, research, integration, and security with 20 years of expertise in delivering high-performance, high-volume solutions to network operators around the world. Our software-based signaling-control solutions accelerate delivery of new services like Private LTE and IoT/M2M solutions across multi-generation networks, dramatically simplifying the core and reducing operational overhead.
These solutions span a range of network types from 2G-3G-4G-5G to future G delivered on the industry’s first ‘all-G’ signaling platform – TITAN. NetNumber Data Services are essential for global inter-carrier routing, roaming, voice and messaging. The data powers fraud detection and prevention solutions and enables enterprise B2B and B2C communications platforms. NetNumber’s award-winning multi-protocol signaling firewall, fraud-detection, and robocalling solutions secure networks against current/emerging threats.
Q: Why is the advent of 5G so key to NetNumber in 2020 and beyond?
NetNumber processes millions of operator connections a day, worldwide. Our customers have found the technology a flexible, reliable way to build out extensible and highly customizable offerings. Looking to 2020 and beyond, NetNumber will be focused on:
- Support for multiple-generation protocols on one system, thereby preserving revenue of legacy systems while providing support and integration of new technologies.
- Concurrent support of SS7/Diameter/HTTP2/SIP on the TITAN platform, with options to deploy multiple edge servers with different customizations for local markets with specific needs.
- Global, centralized management of distributed LTE, 5G signaling from separate edge servers.
- The ability to add, move, and change features with software upgrades rather than complex hardware integrations.
The recognition by 5G World acknowledges the leadership role NetNumber has played in the industry via the GSMA.
Q: What challenges have you found in the industry in recent years?
In recent years, whilst the path to full 5G capabilities has been made clear enough, how individual operators—and their customers— arrive has not been fully mapped out. Operators must decide the best course for their businesses and simultaneous evolve their systems to accommodate the new realties in a post-5G landscape. There are three main challenges we see for operators in the near and long term:
- Security. Always a concern, security in a 5G environment is even broader and far more complex than previous generations as IP and 5G converge.
- Performance. Performance is not just a matter of bits-per-second or latency, although those are service priorities, especially when SLA agreements can make or break customer revenue. Performance in a dense 5G network also includes responsive, real-time network management and reliability over many nodes.
- Adaptability. Given the complexity of the 5G “journey,” systems must be in place that can easily and cost-effectively adapt to changes in technology—without costly or complex changes. Similarly, operators should have the ability to make changes to their business model and introduce innovative services and customizations that could drive significant revenue.
Q: So, how are you overcoming these? And, how has the 5G World helped you to do this?
NetNumber has been instrumental in delivering the best security for next-generation systems—while maintaining support and innovations for legacy technology. Our award- winning, next-generation security solutions and firewall provide comprehensive all-G security and fraud protection with real- time threat detection.
NetNumber delivers inter-networking encryption, eliminating attack vectors within the network, while our signaling firewall protects against malicious attacks on inbound traffic and data.
NetNumber TITAN recently out-ranked many industry heavyweights for the title of “Best 5G Security” at the 2019 5G World Summit in London in June 2019. The recognition by 5G World acknowledges the leadership role NetNumber has played in the industry via the GSMA. It has validated that smaller companies are innovating on a large scale, and worthy of serious consideration by all operators who are evaluating solutions to address 5G security concerns.
NetNumber is looking forward to being back at 5G World 2020 in order in order to help us further the industry dialogue.
Q: What other opportunities does sponsoring 5G World provide you with?
5G World provides us with the opportunity to meet with current customers and partners, as well as to meet prospects. On top of this, and the industry recognition that have already mentioned, 5G World provides NetNumber with a truly global platform upon which to position our unique capabilities and solutions, and a way for us to get our message out to a global audience.
Q: Finally, what are you most looking forward to with being part of 5G World in 2020?
NetNumber is looking forward to being back at 5G World 2020 in order in order to help us further the industry dialogue around topics critical to the success of 5G.
5G World provides a global platform to position our unique capabilities and solutions on a global stage.
Download the white paper